What you should do before driving a rental vehicle on Massachusetts toll roads.
If you have an E-ZPass MA Account:
You may temporarily add the rental vehicle’s license plate number to your account.
- Login to your E-ZPass MA account.
- Add the rented vehicle’s information.
- Check the box “Is this a leased or rented vehicle”.
- Add a start and end date for your rental period.
- If you do not know the end date. When you return the vehicle, please remember to immediately remove it from your account. This will prevent further charges posting to your account.
- Mount your E-ZPass MA transponder in the rented vehicle.
- Don’t forget to take your transponder when you return the rented vehicle.
If you drive a rental vehicle on Massachusetts toll roads without temporarily adding the license plate number to your E-ZPass MA account; it could result in tolls and extra service fees billed through the rental company.
If you do not have an E-ZPass MA account:
- It is recommended that you ask the rental car company how they process tolls and fees.
- Many rental car companies offer ways to pay tolls and have them charged through your rental agreement.
- Some rental companies will offer PlatePass Toll Road Payment.
- If you have an E-ZPass that was issued in another state, please check with the issuing agency.