TRANSPORTATION NETWORK/RIDESHARE DRIVERS
NOTICE OF COMMERCIAL TOLL RATE PROCEDURE
START DATE MONDAY, MAY 13, 2019
Please note that under Commonwealth of Massachusetts law, Chapter 187, of the Acts of 2016, adding to the General Laws Chapter 159A½ (see Section 2, paragraphs j and k) an Act Regulating Transportation Network Companies, transportation network drivers are required to pay the commercial toll rate when using their vehicle for transportation network services on a state road under the tolling authority of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT).
The Act further requires transportation network companies (“TNC”) to have a process in place to ensure that tolls incurred by Transportation Network/Rideshare Drivers (“Driver”), while providing Transportation Network Services, are paid to MassDOT at the commercial toll rate.
In order to fulfill the requirements of the law, please note the following:
- It is recommended that Drivers have an E-ZPass MA account (an E-ZPass MA account and transponder issued by MassDOT).
- Drivers must have a TNC-approved decal at all times when providing transportation network services.
- TNCs will provide certain Driver and Ride Data to MassDOT, and then MassDOT will cross-reference toll data to ensure that tolls incurred by a Driver providing Transportation Network Services are paid at the commercial toll rate (see Section 2, paragraph k of the Act). The commercial toll rate applies during all periods of Transportation Network Services, including when a rideshare app is on, available to receive a request or en route to a rider, without a rider in the vehicle.
- Where appropriate, MassDOT will upcharge the toll rate on the Driver’s account to the commercial toll rate (noted on statement as “rideshare commercial upcharge”). It may take up to two weeks for this adjustment to appear on your account. Therefore, it is necessary that your E-ZPass MA account be appropriately funded at all times to avoid any unnecessary fees. Please note that this process may result in an adjustment to the replenishment amount on your account. The easiest way to ensure that your account stays in good standing is by funding your account with a credit card.
- Please ensure that the name, address and license plate information on your E-ZPass MA account is the same information you have provided to the TNC.
IF YOU HAVE A VALID E-ZPASS MA ACCOUNT
YOU DO NOT NEED TO OPEN ANOTHER ACCOUNT.
If you do not have an account, sign up for a NEW E-ZPass MA account as soon as possible click here to sign up.
To convert your existing Pay by Plate MA account to an E-ZPass MA account, please contact the EZDriveMA Customer Service Center at 877-627-7745.
Login to verify your existing E-ZPass MA account information. Click here to login.